Theatre Faculty of the Academy of Performing Arts
(Divadelní fakulta AMU), Prague
With the introduction of the Theatre Act (1948) which established
puppeteers as physically and legally equal entities (to other theatre
artists in the Czechoslovak Republic), a ministerial mandate was
issued to establish a new educational department in puppetry in
1951. The first classes in the Department of Puppet Theatre at the
Theatre Faculty of the Academy for Performing Arts – the first
university-level puppetry institute in the world – were held in 1952.
Numerous well-known figures in contemporary Czech and foreign
puppet theatres have graduated from this department. In 1991 the
Department changed its name to the Department of Alternative
and Puppet Thetre (Katedra alternativního a loutkového divadla – KALD).